TABLE of CONTENTS
Citing Your Sources
COD LIBRARY CATALOG: Books and Videos in the COD Library only
I-SHARE (formerly Illinet Online): A catalog of items in 70 Illinois academic libraries
WORLDCAT: about books and videos in this country and around the world
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what C.O.D. uses to arrange its books)
CREDO REFERENCE. Type in your terms in the search box to find articles from many different online reference books.
GALE VIRTUAL REFERENCE LIBRARY. Type in your terms in the search box to find articles from many different online reference books.
The American Midwest: An Interpretative Encyclopedia. Reference F 351 .A 534 2007
The Borderlands Encyclopedia: A Digital Educational Resource on Contemporary United States-Mexico Border Issues. (University of Texas at El Paso)
Concise Dictionary to World Place-Names. G 103.5 .E 94 2005
Cultural Geography: A Dictionary of Key Concepts. GF 4 .C 858 2005.
Demographic Yearbook [United Nations]. Reference HA 17 .D 45
Dictionary of Geography. Reference G 63 .E 47 2007.
Elevations and Distances in the United States. U.S. Geological Survey.
Encyclopedia of Chicago. Reference F 548.3 .E 53 2004.
Encyclopedia of Geography. Reference G 63 .E 554 2010.
Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Reference GF 4 .E 54 2006
Encyclopedia of Rural America: The Land and the People. Reference E 169.12 .E 5 1997
Encyclopedia of the City. Reference HT 108.5 .E 63 2005.
The Encyclopedia of Urban America: The Cities and the Suburbs. Reference HT 123 .E 5 1998.
The Encyclopedia of Urban Cultures: Cities and Cultures Around the World. Reference HT 108.5 .E 53 2002.
Encyclopedia of Urban Studies. Reference HT 108.5 .E 634 2010.
Encyclopedia of World Geography. Reference G 133 .E 48 2002
The Ethnic Handbook: A Guide to the Cultures and Traditions of Chicago's Diverse Communities. Ref. F 548.9 .A 1 E 87 1996.
Key Concepts in Urban Geography. General GF 125 .L 38 2008.
Key Concepts in Urban Studies. Reference HT 109 .G 68 2005.
The Language of Towns and Cities: A Visual Dictionary. Reference NA 9010.5 .T 45 2010.
Place Names of Illinois. Reference F 539 .C 35 2009.
Pronunciation Guide for Illinois Place Names . (Donald E. Brown, University of Illinois, 1957)
World Encyclopedia of Cities. Reference HT 108.5 .K 87 1993.
You must have a valid College of DuPage library cardto access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile(formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier [EBSCOhost]1984 to present; 1990 to present- full text). Abstracts from nearly 3000 journals and full text for 1250 journals including general reference, education, social sciences, humanities, general science, multi-cultural studies, library and information science.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- IngentaConnect.This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are NOT available as full-text online items.
- Military and Government Collectionof articles.
- Newspapers(ProQuest) Available at the COD Library, including the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post.
- Open Access Journals Directory(free full-text journal articles)
- Policybot. This is a database of over 17,600 public policy reports and documents, most of them full-text & free online.
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
- Sociological Abstracts(1974-present). References & abstracts for journals for political science and other related social science disciplines.
- U.S. Military and Government Periodicals Index.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
- Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
- Explanation of the Difference Between Magazines and Journals
- How to Read a Research Study Article.
The Library can obtain copies of articles or books from other libraries for you. Inquire at the Reference Desk. You may also consult journal title lists from other libraries in the area.
- Click here for HELP with citing your general non-governmental sources .
- PLUS: The Complete Guide to Citing Government Information Resources, Reference & General collections. Call no. J 9.5 .G 37 2002.
- Government Publication Citation Information .
- How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography.
Geography Faculty Internet Homepages
Library Reference Desk: 630-942-3364 ASK A LIBRARIAN FOR HELP! (click here to e-mail us a question)
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
(630) 942-2279 Office: Library SRC 3631 email: firstname.lastname@example.org